My #1 Mom Hack – Online Grocery Shopping
OK, friends. Time for my number one, all-time, best mom hack. This might just change your world…it did for me.
Say it with me.
Oh my goodness, the time I save by not having to go to the grocery store! It’s like having a personal assistant do your shopping for you.
I usually do my online grocery shopping at night after the kids are sound asleep. First, I go online to my favorite grocery store website to fill up my cart with all my goodies for the week and decide when I want to pick it up (usually on my way home from work). Then, I show up at my designated time, park in the reserved parking spaces and send a text to let them know I’m there. Then, like magic, my groceries arrive with a friendly store associate in about 5 minutes and I’m on my way home. Woot!
I was a little skeptical at first because I’m kind of picky and I wasn’t sure about letting someone else shop for me. Plus I like going to the store to look for good deals, see what’s new and check out the seasonal setups. But now that I’ve made online grocery shopping part of my weekly routine, I don’t think I’ll ever go back to doing all my shopping myself. Don’t get me wrong, I still do some shopping, but the bulk of my groceries are ordered online.
To share this miraculous time-saver I discovered, I’ve rounded up a few stores that offer online grocery shopping, pickup and in some areas, DELIVERY!
How It Works:
Shop online or through the Walmart Grocery app. Choose a pickup time and location. When you arrive, go to the designated parking spaces and the Walmart associate will load your car in just a few minutes. Walmart will also deliver in some areas. Check with your local store.
- It’s FREE with no markups on your groceries.
- Freshness Guarantee – Your items are guaranteed to be fresh or your money back.
- $10 off your first order of $50 or more with code WOWFRESH. Minimum order of $50. (Make sure to check the website for current offers and minimum orders.)
How It Works:
Kroger offers “Pickup” which is their online grocery shopping service. You can shop online for the products you need and pick up your order at the store from the convenience of your car. Kroger’s family of brands (including Fred Meyer and Ralph’s) also offer pickup and delivery options but fees may vary. Check your local store for details.
- Extended pickup hours from 7 am to 9 pm, 7 days a week at most locations (check local).
- Schedule your pickup time up to 3 days in advance.
- Service fee is waived for your first 3 orders. Fees vary by region but will be listed at online checkout.
- Delivery and Shipping options!
- Free shipping on orders over $35 before tax, otherwise $4.99 standard flat rate shipping applies.
- Digital coupons – Coupons can be loaded to your shopper’s card and will automatically be applied to your order at pickup. Paper coupons can NOT be used while checking out online, but can be used at pickup. This may cause your pickup time to increase a little.
Aldi, along with numerous other grocery chains I found while researching this post, offer online grocery shopping and delivery through Instacart. First, to use this delivery service you have to create your Instacart Account and enter your zip code to make sure you are in a delivery area. Then, once your account is setup, add your items to your cart and get them delivered in as little as one hour. No hassle and no quarter needed.
- Because Aldi uses Instacart they are able to provide the convenience of online ordering and delivery to their customers in as little as one hour.
- Aldi plans to rollout grocery delivery to all divisions by end of 2018.
- Delivery begins an hour after the store opens until an hour after the store closes.
AmazonFresh is a grocery delivery and pickup service available exclusively to Prime members in select cities. This service will cost Prime members an additional monthly membership fee of $14.99. Amazon Prime Pantry is a service of Amazon.com available only to Amazon Prime members that packages everyday non-perishable grocery store items into a single box for delivery and charges a flat fee.
- AmazonFresh pickup is available to Prime members in select cities at no additional cost and without an order minimum.
- Partnership with Whole Foods
- Free 30 day trial of Prime Pantry
- Prime Pantry membership of $4.99/month includes free shipping on all orders of $40 or more. Otherwise, flat rate shipping of $7.99 applies.
- Exclusive Prime Pantry offers, coupons and special promotions.
And there you have it, my friends. My favorite mom hack of all time – online grocery shopping. This little golden nugget has gifted me so much time on the weekends I can’t even tell you. These are precious hours I can spend doing things that interest me far more than walking through the aisles of the grocery store on a Saturday afternoon, especially during cold and flu season. Yuck!
Please, do yourself a huge favor and check with your local grocery store to see if they offer online grocery shopping with pickup or delivery. This is a huge trend right now and more and more retailers are getting on board with offering this service. If your local store hasn’t jumped on the bandwagon yet, check out some other online options such as subscription boxes. Give it a try then give yourself a big high five for being an awesome mom boss.