5 Practical Subscription Boxes For Busy Moms
Hello Friends! Let’s talk subscription boxes for busy moms who need to save some serious time.
Maybe you’re like me and you’ve seen ads for subscription boxes and services all over your social media. For the longest time I scrolled right on past thinking they weren’t the right fit for my family, or my budget. Why would I subscribe to something when I can just get what I need from my local store right down the street?
Seems to make sense, right?
I was SO wrong!
As my job continued to require more and more overtime, I started looking for ways to simplify and save time in any way possible. I just couldn’t spend my whole weekend making shopping lists and playing referee to my kids as we walked through Wal-Mart. I just…couldn’t…do it. I have much better things to do with my time. Like actually enjoying time with my family.
Enter in the amazing, time-saving, SANITY-saving subscription boxes. Here are my Top 5!
ButcherBox delivers 100% grass-fed beef, free range organic chicken and heritage breed pork directly to your door. I don’t know about you, but we have been on a mission to eat more healthy, clean, organic foods in our house. Butcher Box delivers just that.
Why I love it:
- High quality meat from animals that are humanely treated, well-fed and no antibiotics or hormones EVER. This is something I feel good about feeding my family.
- It’s delivered to my door! In my area, to get the same quality meat, it’s a 30 min drive to a natural food market. Ummm…no thanks. Again, trying to save time here.
- Recyclable packaging and reusable bags! The bags are insulated and perfect to throw in the back of my car for cold and frozen food when I do make a grocery run.
Cost: Yes. It is a little more expensive than the meat I can buy at my local store, but depending on the box and options you choose, the average price per serving is less than $6! When I looked for comparable high-quality items at the natural food store, ButcherBox is only slightly higher. It’s a price I’m willing to pay for the convenience of having it delivered to my home so I don’t have to spend the time or use the gas to get it myself.
Dollar Shave Club delivers razors and other personal grooming products to customers by mail. This subscription is amazing and I didn’t fully appreciate it when I first started. I just thought, “Cool. I can get a starter set pretty cheap and then they’ll deliver razors. Why not?” But it’s so much more than that!
Why I love it:
- High quality razors and personal care products delivered to my door on my schedule!
- The product lines keep expanding. Not only can I get razors but they also offer premium shaving products, hair, face and body cleansers, toothbrushes and toothpaste, skincare, hair styling products and even butt wipes (for real). They also have a trial kit so you can try all of their luxe products and it’s SUPER affordable…as in, less than $10.
- Complete flexibility with scheduling my shipment. I can adjust the products in my order and the timing of my order any old time I feel like it. If we’re all stocked up on razors, I can change out the products or even delay my shipment until the next month. Oh, and did I mention the bathroom reader that comes with every order? Super fun little bonus and something I’ve come to look forward to.
Cost: This should really go under “why I love it,“ but most products are offered well under $10. There’s a few bundle sets that will run a little more, and almost nothing over $15. VERY comparable to shopping at any big box store that sells similar products. I really cannot think of a downside to Dollar Shave Club. And as an added bonus, I never have to worry about my husband running out of razors and growing an unruly, scratchy beard. Thank you Dollar Shave Club!
So we recently added a furry friend to our family and it has been an adventure. She’s a beautiful black lab with a super sweet personality and a HUGE appetite. We would buy the largest bags of dog food we could and we still kept running out! Chewy offers a full line of pet products that are delivered straight to my door so I never have to make a last minute run for dog food.
Why I love it:
- So much variety to choose from! They have food and supplies for dogs, cats, birds, fish, you name it. And all the great brands you know and trust for your furry family members.
- Autoship! This is totally flexible based on your need. You can set it up weekly, every 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc. You can also have multiple autoships so if you need some things every two weeks and others every 4 weeks you can set them up separately. Pretty sweet.
Cost: The price is pretty much exactly what I would pay locally, but Chewy has larger bags of food…which my mail carrier loves, I’m sure…and that means I don’t have to buy dog food as often. And 1-2 day shipping is free when you order $49 or more. I order large bags of food for both our dogs so I easily spend over that amount and I have autoship setup to send my order every 6 weeks.
Grove Collaborative is an online service that offers home and personal care products that are high quality, healthy and effective. They have a great product line of their own, but also offer products from brands like Mrs. Meyers, Seventh Generation, Dr. Bronner’s, Burt’s Bees and method who share the same commitment to quality and health.
Why I love it:
- Did I mention the healthy products? Grove uses the phrase “Uncompromisingly Healthy” to describe their products. That sounds pretty good to me. I have been using natural cleansers for a while and found they are equally, if not more effective than the stuff full of harsh chemicals.
- In addition to being healthy and effective, Grove as a company (and their partner brands) is sustainably minded and very affordable. In fact, they offer a FREE, customizable, four-piece gift set with your first purchase of $20 or more!
- Every shipment is 100% customizable to your needs. So if you need cleaning products or supplies, personal care products, diapers and wipes or even pet products, you can get it all on your schedule through Grove. Talk about saving time!
Cost: The product pricing is in line for the premium quality, healthy ingredients you get. If I were to actually drive the 30 minutes to the natural food market, I would pay roughly the same price. Instead, I can get all this great stuff delivered to me for a flat shipping fee of $2.99 (free shipping on your first order)! There are order minimums, but they also have an awesome VIP program priced at $19.99 for the entire year which comes with some awesome perks. Plus, I just like the sound of “VIP.” Don’t you?
HelloFresh is the leading global provider of fresh food at home and aims to provide each household with the opportunity to enjoy wholesome home-cooked meals with no planning, no shopping and no hassle. Meal planning, shopping and cooking are HUGE time drains for me every week and because of that, we sometimes resort to making some not-so-healthy food choices. And that is why HelloFresh is a game changer.
Why I love it:
- No meal planning and no shopping. I enjoy cooking and I wish I had 4 hours to plan and cook a meal, but I just don’t. With HelloFresh I can pop online after the kids go to bed and choose from a variety of chef-curated dishes I know my family will love. Then like magic, it will show up at my door and I can whip up a healthy meal for my family. That saves this busy mama some major time.
- It’s like having a personal chef! Well, except for the part where the chef actually cooks the meal for you. But if you can follow a recipe (on a beautiful and easy-to-follow recipe card) and you enjoy cooking with high quality ingredients in just the right amounts so there’s no waste, you will love HelloFresh too.
- The HelloFresh chefs create 15 new recipes each week so there’s always plenty of new foods to try. The meals are chosen based on your preferences OR you can choose the recipes yourself. They also offer vegetarian and family plans with recipes that cater to both parents and kids.
Cost: There are several plans and options to choose from but most will run between $7 and $9 per serving. HelloFresh also offers a Ready Made plan (say what?!) for $8.99 per serving. Shipping will run you $5.99 per box. You can pause, cancel or modify your subscription at any time. So if we’re going to be out of town or I want to make changes to my subscription, it’s super simple.
I was hesitant to get started with subscription boxes because I thought they would be expensive and full of things I didn’t need. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. The companies I’ve talked about, and so many more out there, understand their customers don’t want to pay for things they don’t want. This is why so many offer a variety of products and customization options. And at such reasonable prices! I honestly don’t know how they keep their prices in line with big box competitors, but that’s what sealed the deal when I signed up.
The companies I referenced above are only a small sampling of subscription boxes out there. I definitely recommend checking them out, but there are new ones popping up all the time. Don’t be afraid to try them out! You will probably be pleasantly surprised with selection and pricing, but if not, you can cancel and try something else you’ll love even more. If you have a subscription box suggestion you’d like to share, please include it in the comments below!